Skip to main content

Imaging Chula

I am in university again. For the first time in one with good food!

Chulalongkorn University, Bangkok has a co-operative canteen that sells an amazing range of yummy Thai food at dart cheap price. Although this is the best thing about Chula, I have been told the university is also famous for being one of the oldest and best educational institutions in South-East Asia etc. It seems some people (read Thamasad University, Chula’s soccer rivals) also insist they are just the oldest but those are unimportant details. And thankfully there is very little of this big university comes between the canteen and me. It is less than 2 minutes away from my room.

My first few days went into taking photos of all the food that I have been eating. I am taking pictures so that I do not repeat the same dish. Before I leave Thailand, I want to taste everything that they have. But after about 10 days of doing this, I realised, no matter how many photos I take or how many ever things I eat, I will never be able to eat everything Thailand has to offer. It is like trying to reach the end of time or space.

This realization however strangely was a relief. I felt light as the burden of having to eat everything lifted off me (could also be the fact that I stopped eating four meals a day consisting of at least 3 kinds of meat and fish) and I decided to go have a look at the other things in the university. In the process I also took some photos, Downloading them, I found out that my camera was permanently set to take food photos at the co-op canteen. So they came about rather queer. Thankfully, there are also such things called photo editors and I fiddled them around to make them marginally presentable. Some beyond recognition. But how does that matter?



Chula main campus, seen from the entrance. No, that is not my palace.

Chula is lovely to walk about. Sometimes around the king, sometimes around his gardens.


Another tree-lined lane

This is the book store at Chula. They have many books. In Thai. We went there to buy Chula T-shirts for the historical soccer match that is being played between Chula and Thamasad University. The rivals have played each other for ages. Each team has feelings towards each other similar to what the US of A has towards terrorism in other countries. The match is tomorrow Saturday, 25th Feb, 2012.

The Darma Centre where one can meditate. They also hold lectures on spiritual matters. All in Thai. It is very serene and has lovely trees around it. However, the most spiritual and meditative place I have found, in case you have not figured it out already, is the co-operative canteen.

Apart from the canteen (whose photos I have decided to publish in a multi volume book and hence not published here) the other things I love in Chula are its trees. It has many trees. Many shady corners. Every day when I walk around to digest my canteen food, I fall in love with a new one.








Comments

  1. Wonderful, as usual! Love the trees! Waiting for more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. what pictures! i think your food picture setting is quite perfect... these are transcendental :)
    have fun, and please keep on taking pics, and updating.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

High Art, Low Lives

At the end of a failed attempt to reach Kunming (in China) from Margherita (in Assam) we were quick to settle for a resort nearby. This is what I enjoy most about travelling with my friends - this ability to happily settle for rabbit piss while you were actually looking for moonshine. When we started from Guwahati 650 kilometres ago, no one knew where we were going. Such is the level of meticulous planning and detailed organisation of the ensemble we were travelling in. The ensemble performs music and is quite popularly known. Thankfully they had a show in Margherita. Or we would not even know where to go from Guwahati. Somewhere through the 650 km journey, from Guwahati to Margherita, that for some inexplicable reason started at 2 am in the morning, we managed to decide that we will go somewhere beyond Margherita and visit unknown frontiers and untouched forests. Making decision you must know is more difficult than driving 650 km straight through a night and more dangerous than the un

The Religious Peeps

The other day, I had to go see the owners of my flat to pay my rent. I also had to make complaints about a few things not working in the house – a plug in the kitchen, the bathroom light, the bedroom fan… The good landlords assured me they will send an electrician in the evening and then all full of consideration and concern for me asked– “Do you have problems if a Muslim enters your kitchen?” I took a few seconds to register the question before I burst out laughing. While shaking my whole body in all directions with convulsive laughter I managed to shake my head sideways and say – ‘No, there is no problem.’ The elderly couple waited for my epilepsy to subside and said with hurt sensibility – “We have no problems either. We let them enter the kitchen.” (In the same tone that whites say, ‘I am not a racist. Some of my best friends are black.) I called up all my friends to tell the story and everyone laughed almost as hard as me. Some of course laughed harder. One Muslim-phile (he i

Women’s Day Speech: 2019

Hello everyone, (good morning, good afternoon, good evening) Happy International Women’s Day. My name is Banamallika, today is 8 th March and I am here because it is International Women’s Day. I love IWD because it is the only day when random women like me, get invited to talk on random things related or unrelated to women at random places.   The rest 363 days of the year, women are asked to shut up, keep quiet, not make too much noise. Not that women ever listen to anything they are told to do and that is why we have International Women’s Day. But I am coming to that part of the story later. I am a feminist and one of the few people who have a t-shirt saying so.   Naturally I get invited to speak at many places each year on women’s day. As the second or third option always. It is only when the police officer, the actress, the writer, the journalist or the successful business woman has said she has other commitment is when the call comes to me. Anyways, although I ha